Your Custom Text Here
Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine; Co-Medical Director ACMC, Advancing Excellence
Physician Leadership and Mentoring
Vice Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine; Chair, Practice Management Committee, Illinois College of Emergency Physicians
Life After Residency, Physician Wellness, Ultrasound, Ethics, Safety and Performance Improvement
Director of ED Clinical Operations
Associate Performance Improvement Director
Emergency Medicine Ultrasound fellowship
Ultrasound, Pediatrics, Student/Resident Education
Director of Performance ImprovementAttending PhysicianAssistant Clinical Professor- UIC
Attending Physician, Emergency Medicine
Program Director, Emergency Medicine Residency
Clinical Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Cincinnati
Resident Education, Curriculum Development, Resident Wellness, Therapeutic Hypothermia
International travel, SCUBA, yoga
Associate Program Director, Emergency Medicine Residency
Director of Medical Toxicology
Board Certified in Medical Toxicology
Toxicology, Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Resident Education, Board Preparation, Life after Residency
Hiking, Parenting, Multiculturalism, Tequilas and Latin Cuisine
Assistant Program Director, Emergency Medicine
Director of Resident Research
Associate Clinical Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
Resident education, EKG as a diagnostic tool, cardiac arrest resuscitation, Resident Wellness, Life after Residency
Travel, running, tennis
Assistant Program Director, Emergency Medicine Residency
Resident Education, Medical Student Education
Craft Beer Enthusiast (not snob), Cubs fan, Fantasy Football, Cool Dad
Assistant Program Director
Research, Resident Education
Skiing, Chicago Sports Teams, Country Music
St. John Hospital and Medical Center, Detroit
Global Health, Medical Ethics, Ultrasound as a Tool in Low Resource Settings
Basketball fan, authentic cuisines at hole-in-the-wall restaurants
Director of Faculty Development
Program Director Emeritus
Resident Education, Simulation, Emergency Ultrasound
Biking for pure enjoyment and as an altenative commute, skiing, reading, running
Medical Education, Critical Decision Units, Diagnostic Errors
Medical Student Clerkship Director
Boating, Camping, Traveling
Attending Physician, Emergency Medicine and Critical
Fellowship in Critical Care, Stanford
Resident Education, Critical Care
Assistant Medical Student Clerkship Director
Resident Recruitment Committee
Resident and student education
Director of Performance Improvement
University of Chicago
Director, Ultrasound Fellowship
Emergency Medicine Ultrasound Fellowship
Golf, biking, travel, wine
Emergency Medicine Ultrasound Fellow
Travel, singing, locover cooking
Ultrasound, Global Health
Assistant Director of Performance Improvement
Ultrasound, Resident Education
University of Wisconsin
Dive Medicine, Sports Medicine
Movies, sports (Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Hawks, Notre Dame), steak dinners, having many children
Attending Physician, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
University of Chicago/Comer Children's Hospital
Pediatric Emergency Medicine, University of Chicago/Comer Children's Hospital; Nationwide Children's Hospital
Pediatric Critical Care, University of Chicago/Comer Children's Hospital
Attending Physician, Emergency Medicine and Critical Care
Director of Research and Publication, Emergency Medicine
Residency: Emergency Medicine & Internal Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center
Fellowship: Critical Care Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center
Professional Interests: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, ECMO, airway management, acute coronary syndrome, machine learning, resident education.
Other Interests: Learning, travel, wine, dog rescue
Assistant Director of Simulation
Simulation, Resident and Med Student Education, International and Disaster Medicine
Real Estate and Personal Finance, Travel, Running, Snowboarding
Vice Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine
Chair, Practice Management Committee, Illinois College of Emergency Physicians
Director of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Advocate Christ Medical Center
Board Certified in Pediatrics, Advocate Christ Medical Center/Advocate Children's Hospital
Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Resident Education, Medical Simulation
Medical Volunteering, Travel, Soccer
Attending Physician, Emergency Medicine and Critical Care Medicine
Michigan State University, Kalamazoo
Critical Care Fellowship, Oregon Health Sciences University
Critical Care Medicine
Board Certified in Medical Toxicology, Wayne State University
Toxicology, Life after Residency, Medical Documentation and Billing
Resident Education, Advanced Procedures
Golf, baseball/softball, spending time with wife an daughter
Cultivation of grapes for winemaking, piano, banjo, ukulele, mandolin, reading, trail running, swimming, track, and various team athletics
Residency - Pediatrics, Advocate Children’s Hospital - Park Ridge
Fellowship - Peds EM, The University of Chicago - Comer Children’s Hospital
Ultrasound, ATLS (Certified ATLS Instructor)
Volleyball, golf, cooking, famil
Emergency Department Ultrasound Fellowship
Emergency Ultrasound, Cost Effective Treatment Options, New Technology, Resident education
Combined EM/IM Residency, Allegheny General Hospital
Sepsis, Therapeutic Hypothermia
Medical Director, Emergency Medical Services
Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
EMS, Weapons of Mass Destruction, HAZMAT
Completed pediatric residency and peds EM fellowship
Medical Director of Emergency Department Operations
Combined EM/IM residency, MBA
Administration, Healthcare Systems Improvement, Operations
Cooking/Food, Sports, Travel, Family
Emergency Medicine Ultrasound Fellowship
Medical education, Ultrasound, Community Outreach, International medicine.
Wellness, Event planning, Cooking, Traveling, Team Athletics
Resident Education in Procedures
Home improvement projects, golf, family time
Resident Education, Integration of Business and Medicine, Patient Satisfaction, Quality Processes
Simulation Fellow at Cook County Hospital
Reading, music, language
Director of Medical Simulation
Henry Ford Hospital
Critical Care, Stanford
Critical Care, Advanced Procedures
Medical Director of Disaster Medicine and Preparedness
EMS, Disaster Preparedness
Chicago White Sox, running
Attending Physician, Pediatric Emergency Medcine
Completed residency in both Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine
Co-Medical Director ACMC, Advancing Excellence
Director of Clinical Pathways
Completed Residencies in Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine
Cleveland Clinic, Stanford
Assistant Clinical Professor- University of Illinois at Chicago
University of California
Fellow, Royal College of Physician and Surgeons, Canada
Evidenced Based Medicine, Cardiac Arrest
LSU New Orleans
Resident Education, Trauma Recidivism, Socioeconomic determinants of health access & health outcomes, Community Outreach
New Orleans Saints and LSU Tigers Football; live music; food fests and road trips
Completed Pediatrics Residency and Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship, University of Chicago
Child abuse/neglect & advocacy, Pediatric trauma & resuscitation, Medical education
My family, Cooking/wine, travel
Advocate System-Wide Medical Simulation Director
Simulation, Sepsis, Research
Running, skiing, travel, cooking, wine
Travel, running, hiking
Director of Medical Intensive Care Unit
Residency- Emergency Medicine, Advocate Christ Medical Center
Fellowship- Critical Care, Stanford
Residency- Emergency Medicine, Henry Ford
Residency- Emergency Medicine, Michigan State
Fellowship- Critical Care, OHSU
Residency: Emergency Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Fellowship: Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Professional interests: Medical education, mechanical ventilation, and all things critical care
Other interests: Traveling, cycling, reading, and spending time with my wife and dog
Residency: Emergency Medicine, University Medical Center in Las Vegas, NV
Fellowship: Critical Care, Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, GA
Residency- Emergency Medicine, Boston Medical Center
Fellowship- Critical Care, Cooper Hospital-University Medical Center
Led by EMS Director Sean Motzny, MD and Director of Disaster Medicine Liz Regan, MD each resident completes a 1 month EMS/Admin rotation in the PGY2 year.
Advocate Christ Medical Center serves as online medical control for 12,000 runs annually
In September 2018, Dr. Regan designed and conducted the largest mass casualty disaster drill in Illinois history
-to view video, click here
-in the news, click here
Medical Director Emergency Medical Services
Clinical Assistant Professor- UIC
EMS, WMD, HAZMAT
Director of Disaster Medicine
Intersection of Counterterrorism & Medicine
Assistant EMS Director
Bedside Ultrasound 1997 - date
Ultrasound fellowship director 2001 - 2006
Medical Director Pediatric Emergency Department
Dual Residency in Pediatrics and EM at ACMC
Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Simulation Training
Medical Volunteering, traveling, soccer
Medical Director of Pediatric ED Operations
Completed Pediatric residency and peds EM fellowship at University of Chicago Comer Children's Hospital
Child abuse/neglect & advocacy, Pediatric trauma & resuscitation, Medical education
Pediatric residency at ACMC
Peds EM fellowship at MCW
Pediatric residency at Northwestern
Peds EM fellowship at UofC
cooking, travel, wine
Attending Physician- ED and PICU
Pediatric Residency at UofC
Peds EM Fellowship at UofC
Peds Critical Care Fellowship at UofC
Pediatric Residency at Cleveland Clinic
Emergency Medicine Residency at Stanford
Clinical Interests- Obscure Diagnoses and Rashes!
Dual residency in EM and Pediatrics at UofC
Pediatric residency at Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami
Peds EM fellowship at Luries Childrens Hospital
exploring Chicago’ restaurant scene
Pediatric Emergency Medicine at the University of Maryland
Pediatric Residency at ACMC
Peds EM fellowship at Nemours
Pediatric residency NY Presbyterian- Cornell
Board Certified Pediatric Emergency Medicine, General Pediatrics, American Board of Medical Management
**2018 Christ EM Off-Service Teacher of the Year
Emergency Medicine PharmD Residency – Advocate Christ Medical Center
Graduate School – University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy
Undergraduate: Illinois State University (B.S. Chemistry)
Sepsis, resuscitation, anticoagulation and professional organizations
Guitar, biking in the city, hiking, craft beer
PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency at ACMC
Infectious Disease, Pediatrics
Travel, food, photography, various outdoor activities
PGY 1- Allegheny General Hospital
PGY 2- Allegheny General Hospital
Professional Interests- Critical Care
Personal Interests- food, travel, craft beers
Pharmacy Manager, Clinical Services and Professional Development
MBA at Loyola University
Emergency Medicine, Toxicology, Medication Safety, Pediatrics
Travel, food, various outdoor activities, volunteering for PAWS and Make a Wish, sports, music
Director of Pharmacy Services, Pharmacy Residency (PGY1/EM) Program Director
MA Organizational Leadership, Board Certified Pharmacotherapist
Toxicology, EM, Medication Safety, Readmissions, Length of Stay and Patient Throughput
Travel, food, various outdoor activities
Advocate System Director of Simulation
Christ Research Fellowship
Director of Simulation
Director of Pediatric Simulation
Board Certified Pediatrician
1. Patel SR, Barounis DA, Milas A, Nikamal AJ, Estoos E, Anand N, Nitti K, Dodd KW. Outcomes following nighttime extubation in a high-intensity medical intensive care unit. Journal of Critical Care. 2019 (in press).
2. Sandoval Y, Gunsolus IL, Smith SW, Sexter A, Thordsen SE, Carlson MD, Johnson BK, Bruen CA, Dodd KW, Driver BE, Jacoby K, Love SA, Moore JC, Scott NL, Schulz K, Apple FS. Appropriateness of cardiac troponin testing: insights from the use of troponin in acute coronary syndromes (UTROPIA) study. American Journal of Medicine. 2019 (in press).
3. Dodd KW, Prekker ME, Robinson AE, Buckley A, Reardon RF, Driver BE. Video screen viewing and first intubation attempt success with standard geometry video laryngoscope use. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019;37:1336-1339.
4. Moore JC, Holley J, Segal N, Lick MC, Labarère J, Frascone RJ, Dodd KW, Robinson AE, Lick C, Klein L, Ashton A, McArthur A, Tsangaris A, Makaretz A, Makaretz M, Debaty G, Pepe PE, Lurie KG. Consistent head up cardiopulmonary resuscitation haemodynamics are observed across porcine and human cadaver translational models. Resuscitation. 2018;132:133-139.
5. Dodd KW, Driver BE, Reardon RF. Trauma patients presenting with a King laryngeal tube in place can be safely intubated in the emergency department. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2018;36:503-504.
6. Sandoval Y, Smith SW, Sexter A, Thordsen S, Bruen C, Carlson MD, Dodd KW, Driver BE, Hu Y, Jacoby K, Johnson BK, Love SA, Moore JC, Schulz K, Scott NL, Apple FS. Type 1 and 2 myocardial infarction and myocardial injury: Clinical features and impact on incidence with transitioning to a high-sensitivity cardiac troponin I. The American Journal of Medicine. 2017;130:1431-1439.
7. Driver BE, Dodd K, Klein LR, Buckley R, Robinson A, McGill JW, Reardon RF, Prekker ME. The bougie and first pass success in the emergency department. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2017;70:473-478.
Director of Resident Research and Projects
Assistant Residency Director
Professional Interests: Resident wellness, graduate medical education, and remediation
1. Egan DJ, Gentges J, Regan L, Smith JL, Williamson K, and Murano T. An emergency medicine remediation consult service: access to expert remediation advice and resources. AEM Education and Training. 2019 Mar; 3(2): 193-196.
2. Williamson K, Lank PM, Lovell EO, and the Emergency Medicine Research Alliance. Re: Development of an Emergency Medicine Wellness Curriculum. AEM Education and Training. 2019 Apr; 3(2): 202.
3. Olson N, Olson AS, Williamson K, Hartman N, Branzetti J, Lank P, for the Emergency Medicine Education Research Alliance. Faculty Assessment of Emergency Medicine Resident Grit: A Multicenter Study. AEM Education and Training. 2018 Dec; 3(1): 6-13.
4.Williamson K, Lank PM, Hartman N, Cheema N, Lovell EO, and the Emergency Medicine Education Research Alliance. A Comparison of the Maslach Burnout Inventory to Other Wellbeing Instruments in Emergency Medicine Residents. J Grad Med Ed. Oct 2018; 10(5): 532-536.
5. Salzman DH, Watts H, Williamson K, Sergel M, Dobiesz V, DeGarmo N, Vora S, Sharp LJ, Wang E, and Gisondi MA. A Multi-Center Collaboration for Simulation-Based Assessment of ACGME Milestones in Emergency Medicine. Simulation in Healthcare. April 2018; 13(5):348-355.
6. Williamson K, Lank PM, Lovell EO, and the Emergency Medicine Education Research Alliance. Development of an Emergency Medicine Wellness Curriculum. AEM Education and Training. Jan 2018; 2: 20-25.
Professional interests: Airway, resuscitation, patient experience and ED operations
1. Umunna BP, Tekwani K, Barounis D, Kettaneh N, Kulstad E. Ketamine for Continuous Sedation of Mechanically Ventilated Patients. J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2015 Jan-Mar;8(1):11-5.
2. Tekwani KL, Kerem Y, Mistry CD, Sayger BM, Kulstad EB. Emergency Department Crowding is Associated with Reduced Satisfaction Scores in Patients Discharged from the Emergency Department. West J Emerg Med. 2013 Feb;14(1):11-5.3. Tekwani KL, Watts HF, Sweis RT, Rzechula KH, Kulstad EB. A Comparison of the Effects of Etomidate and midazolam on hospital length of stay in patients with suspected sepsis: a prospective, randomized study. Ann Emerg Med. 2010 Nov;56(5):481-9.
4. Kulstad EB, Kalimullah EA, Tekwani KL, Courtney DM. Etomidate as an induction agent in septic patients: red flags or false alarms? West J Emerg Med. 2010 May;11(2):161-72.
5. Chan CW, Tekwani KL, Watts HF, Kulstad EB. Emergency Physicians Report Infrequent Use of Alpha-Blockade for the Treatment of Ureteral Stones. Am J Emerg Med. 2009 Sep;27(7):776-8.
6. Tekwani KL, Watts HF, Rzechula KH, Sweis RT, Kulstad EB.
A prospective Observational Study of the Effect of Etomidate on Septic Patient with Mortality and Length of Stay. Acad Emerg Med. 2009 Jan;16(1):11-4.
Professional Interests: Resident Education, Curriculum Development, Resident Wellness, Therapeutic Hypothermia
1. Htet NN, Barounis D, Knight C, Umunna BP, Hormese M, Lovell E. Protocolized use of Factor Eight Inhibitor Bypassing Activity (FEIBA) for the reversal of warfarin induced coagulopathy. Am J Emerg Med. 2019 May 31.
2. Williamson K, Lank PM, Cheema N, Hartman N, Lovell E, (EMERA). Comparing the Maslach Burnout Inventory to Other Well-Being Instruments in Emergency Medicine Residents. J Grad Med Educ. 2018 Oct;10(5):532-536.
3. Williamson K, Lank PM, Lovell EO, (EMERA). Development of an Emergency Medicine Wellness Curriculum. AEM Educ Train. 2017 Dec 12;2(1):20-25.
4. Chinai SA, Guth T, Lovell E, Epter M. Taking Advantage of the Teachable Moment: A Review of Learner-Centered Clinical Teaching Models. West J Emerg Med. 2018 Jan;19(1):28-34
Professional Interests: resident education, infectious disease, public health
1. Probst B, Walls L, Cirone M, Markossian T. Examining the Effects of the Affordable Care Act on Two Illinois Emergency Departments. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019
2. Jurkovic J, Cirone M. Mucocutaneous Paraneoplastic Syndrome Secondary to Classical Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Clin Pract Cases Emerg Med. 2019 Apr 2;3(2):160-161.
3. McDowell M, Nitti K, Kulstad E, Cirone M, Shah R, Rochford S, Walsh R, Hesse K. Clinical Outcomes in Patients Taking Inhaled Loxapine, Haloperidol, or Ziprasidone in the Emergency Department. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2019 Mar-Apr; 42(2): 23–26.
4. Cirone M, Probst B, Goldstein J, Aurora T. HIV Screening in the Urgent Care Setting. JUCM 2016; 29- 33
Clinical Pharmacist- Emergency Department
Professional Interests: Anti-coagulation reversal, resuscitation science, tachydysrhythmia management
Other Interests: Guitar, biking in the city, hiking, craft beer
1. McDowell M, Nitti K, Kulstad E, Cirone M, Shah R, Rochford S, Walsh R, Hesse K. Clinical Outcomes in Patients Taking Inhaled Loxapine, Haloperidol, or Ziprasidone in the Emergency Department. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2019 Mar-Apr; 42(2): 23–26.
2. Shah P, McDowell M, Ebisu R, Hanif T, Toerne T. Adjunctive Use of Ketamine for Benzodiazepine-Resistant Severe Alcohol Withdrawal: a Retrospective Evaluation. J Med Toxicol. 2018 Sep;14(3):229-236.
3. Lyons N, Nejak D, Mokszycki R, Jamieson S, McDowell M, Kulstad E. An alternative for rapid administration of medication and fluids in the emergency setting using a novel device. Am J Emerg Med. 2015 Aug;33(8):1113.e5-6.
Assistant Ultrasound Director
Professional Interests: Ultrasound, Global Health
1. Lalande E, Burwash-Brennan T, Burns K, Atkinson, Lambert M, Jarman B, Lamprecht H, Banerjee A, Woo MY. Is point-of-care ultrasound a reliable predictor of outcome during atraumatic, non-shockable cardiac arrest? A systematic review and meta-analysis from the SHoC investigators. Resuscitation. 2019 Jun;139:159-166.
2. Burjek NE, Burns KM, Jagganathan N. Aligning airway management strategy with resuscitation priorities for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. J Thorac Dis. 2019 Feb;11(2):364-368
3. Gottlieb M, Holladay D, Burns K, Gore SR, Wulff C, Shah S, Bailitz J. Accuracy of ultrasound for endotracheal intubation between different transducer types. Am J Emerg Med. 2019 Mar 12.
Professional Interests: Resident Education, Simulation, Emergency Ultrasound
1. Zerth H, Harwood R, Tommaso L, Girzadas DV Jr. An inexpensive, easily constructed, reusable task trainer for simulating ultrasound-guided pericardiocentesis. J Emerg Med. 2012 Dec;43(6):1066-9.
2. Girzadas Jr D, Antonis MS, Zerth H, Lambert M, Clay L, Bose S, Harwood R. Hybrid Simulation Combining a High Fidelity Scenario with a Pelvic Ultrasound Task Trainer Enhances the Training and Evaluation of Endovaginal Ultrasound Skills. Academic Emergency Medicine 2009; 16:429–435 2009
3. Girzadas Jr DV, Harwood RC, Clay L, Caris J, Rzechula K. High fidelity Simulation can discriminate between novice and experienced residents when assessing competency in patient care. Medical Teacher.2007 Jun;29(5):472-6.
4. Girzadas DV Jr, Delis S, Bose S, Hall J, Rzechula K, Kulstad EB. Measures of stress and learning seem to be equally affected among all roles in simulation scenario. Simul Healthc. 2009 Fall;4(3):149-54.
Director of Toxicology
Fellowship trained and board certified in Medical Toxicology
Fellowship in Medical Toxicology
Toxicology, International Medicine
Sports, travel, music, cooking/culinary
Click here to check out the Christ US Website
Director Ultrasound Fellowship
Assistant Director of Ultrasound
2017-2018 Christ Ultrasound Fellow
The website of the emergency medicine residency for Advocate Christ Medical center, created for educational benefit of its residents and faculty. No protected patient information or copyrighted material should be displayed or uploaded to this site.